Thursday, December 29

the foreigner

well, I didn’t have a chance to say all I wanted to say, or show all I wanted to show from yesterday… so a lot of this is leftover. and this one did get a little long, so you can just skip to the list and pics if you don’t want to read two paragraphs :) actually, i dont have enough time to post pics, so i will do that later.

image means a lot here in japan… not that it doesn’t in California too… but here, it’s to another extreme. I mentioned earlier that the fashion here is mini skirts with boots. when I am walking in this freezing cold weather and see this, I figure that they are just used to it. however, this is not true. my brother mentioned to me that he had asked someone he knew about this, and they said that the girls here will put themselves through the miserable cold just to look good. wow… I could never do that… mini skirts in cold weather (or any weather :) just aren’t my thing.

I was thinking about how I have never been the foreigner before… I have seen foreigners before and observed them, but I have never taken on the role as one. Now, far from home, I notice that I am really enjoying the role as a foreigner…it’s actually a lot of fun. trying to communicate, learning new customs, taking in the different lifestyle, learning the way around a place that’s not home…it’s so awesome. being a foreigner isn’t so bad… I can’t quite explain why, but I just love being out of my element and adapting to the new one. however, I do miss having my friends around. next time I take a trip, I am definitely taking my friends with me :)

more things I learned today:
-check out the prices on these fruit (in US currency): 1 cantalope=$94.50 ; 1 orange=$85.00 ; 1 mango=$21.00… getting some yummy fruit= definitely not priceless
-octopus tentacles do NOT taste good
-the graffiti here is not so hard on the eyes
-the massage chairs here have people inside of them… well, at least it feels like it :)
-everyone either walks or rides bikes/scooters and uses the train (we walk and use the train) the bikes and pedestrians are on the same sidewalk, causing a lot of close calls
-almost all the stores in japan will play the song “Auld Lang Syne” at closing
-america isn’t the only place that have starbucks within a mile of eachother

there’s a ton more, but I can’t quite remember some things at the moment… so I will tell some more later.

No comments: