Friday, August 26

semi-sedated

i had an appointment today to see how soon i needed my wisdom teeth pulled. i also got to learn how the whole procedure goes, what complications can arise, and, oh ya, the best and most important part: my options i have for being pain free during the procedure. yup, that's right... i have a choice of how i want to go through the operation. here are the options:

1. i can be absolutely aware and awake, yet not feel any pain (after 8 injections that will numb me) through the procedure. yet of course, i will still here the cutting, pulling, breaking, and metal tools while feeling the pressure (not pain) against me mouth and the pulling sensation. although no pain is felt, a lot of anxiety can occur.

2. i can be absolutely out, unconscious, and unaware of anything. the only thing i will be doing is breathing and pumping my heart... everything else stops. yup. i would be in a deep sleep, the doctor's pull the teeth and so on, and then i wake up about an hour later feeling like i never went to sleep. this is the most common choice and least stressful.

3. or i can do what is called "twilight" sedation (i think i may go through this one). this is, in a way, considered to be semi-sedation. now, this actually seems kind of humorous, and you will see why i would want to film my procedure under this choice of pain-freeness. in "twilight" i will not be completely out and sleeping away... i will still be able to react to a stimulant like someone telling me to do something. i will not feel any pain except for when i am first injected with numbing stuff which, according to what my doc says, i will forget was ever done 5 seconds later. i will be awake and semi-aware, but will not remember a single thing after it all wears off. i would kind of be like 10-sec-tom where i forget what is happening every 10 secs. people tend to get a little loopy under this option, but that is what makes it appealing.

so, those are my options. my personal opinion is option 3. what do all you have to say?

by the way, one of the possible (but of course, "not likely") complications is that they bruise a nerve in my lower jaw and my chin and lower lip goes numb for anywhere from a week to a few months. fun... numb jaw. haha

anywho, that is my story for the day.

hooroo and ta ta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

naga means dragon in indo! isn't that cool? my friend james (nice name, huh?) is from indonesia and he taught me that. mi opinion: i'm afraid of the twilight one. i'd say go for the normal sedation...that stuff still makes you pretty loopy. i was an emotional wreck when i woke up from that stuff. hahaha. one moment i was laughing and the next i was crying. but i must admit, the twilight one does sound pretty interesting. hahahaha