Thursday, September 28

don't forget!

okay, so let me just start that today was a complete opposite of what i thought it would be.

yesterday night, when i was coming home, all i could think about was how tired i was and how tired i was going to be the next day (today, thursday). and while waking up this morning at 6:00, that's pretty much the idea that i still had in my head... 'today is going to be long." however, it almost immediately changed.
I got to school at 7 and we started setting up and practicing for praise band/chapel, and i just started getting all this energy, started getting all pumped up. then we played in chapel this morning, and it was awesome... just totally awesome. that totally got me up an in a good mood, totally ready for the day. (i've just used the word "totally" a lot in a little time... totally weird).
anywho, i wasn't tired in 5th period like i usually am (cause it's right after lunch and in a time where a siesta is preferred), and we left for tennis at the very beginning of 6th period. today was our first match with the new uniforms, and they are awesome.
so today was our first league match, and it was against connoly (sp?). i played at 2 singles today, and i have to say, this set is one that just completely caught me by surprise... but not in a way you would think.
let me just set the stage a bit... i am totally not a social tennis player... i don't like to talk with my opponents. i dunno, to me it would just make the situation awkward and more complicated. my opponent, however, is what i would call a tennis social butterfly. she got the conversation started before we even started to warm-up. at first, i was trying to find a way to avoid being social, but then as the warm-up went on, i couldn't help but join in the social fun.
it threw me off, however, when she would talk to me in the middle of a game... like at 30 all in the first game, she asked me where i wanted to go to college. it kind of caught me off guard, but between games, conversation would continue, and she would make some comments during games as well. i found myself just laughing and smiling throughout the whole set... anyway, there are more details, but the main thing is that this set was so fun, it helps that i won, but still, it was a fun and funny situation that i would normally hate. we talked about careers, corn bread, and oh ya, the set was started off with a suggestion by my opponent: "lets have fun!"
fun we did have, and that's pretty much the story for my last two sets... except there was no social-ness in my last set against the #1 singles girl... it was all business :) the team won today and we still hold our undefeated record!

this got way too long, so i will quickly turn to the reason for my stories of the day's happenings.
there is a verse in deuteronomy that is called "the don't forget!" verse... and today is a day that made me think of the verse... "Make sure you don't forget God, your God, by not keeping his commandments, his rules and regulations that I command you today. Make sure that when you eat and are satisfied, build pleasant houses and settle in, see your herds and flocks flourish and more and more money come in, watch your standard of living going up and up—make sure you don't become so full of yourself and your things that you forget God, your God.."
basically, don't forget God when things are going good. so, that reminds me to thank God when things are good, and it brings me to say, Praise God for today, a great day!

i hope you all have a pleasant friday! i know i will... more tennis!

1 comment:

Mark and His Girls said...

I love that verse, cristina! Thanks for the inside scoop on Jimin Lee. :) Maybe she taught you a good lesson...in order to play as well as you did today, you need to relax!...and have fun. (Maybe you should start all YOUR tennis matches with "Let's have fun.") I'm glad you played her first.
I hope you feel better, it's no fun seeing you sick. Get well soon! The team needs you. :)