Wednesday, August 23

gone fishin' (for the first time)

ok, so lets tell this story from beginning to end.
today was my first time going fishing, and by golly i started fishing in style. we were out on the lake, finished eating our lunch that we packed, and prepared for a day of fishing. we rented a pontoon (what a weird word) for half day, so we got out on convict lake at about noon. so, after eating, i cast out for the first time... i waited, i was bored. cast again, waited, bored again. after ten minutes of this cycle, i cast out again, but this time, different result. all of the sudden, i felt a really strong pull. at first i thought my line was stuck, but then the fish started running away (or swimming i guess). i can't even find a way to acurately put into words what the next 10 minutes were like... i'll have to act it out for some of you guys when i get home, but for now i will try to describe it. the fish (which i later neamed 'spike') was going hard and fast away from me. i was reeling him in but he was pulling line out faster than i could reel him in... my pole was bent into a complete semi-circle (is that an oxymoron?). i thought my pole was going to snap, and my arms were hurting like crazy. i was putting the fishing pole in my stomach so that i could have some stability and extra strength. however, all my reeling, pulling, and holding on proved to be useless... he was going too far, too fast, and too strong. next thing i know, SNAP! i ran out of fishing line and the last piece of line snapped of the reel. spike had gotten away. we concluded that spike was at least 10 pounds, no joke. look at the pic of my pole bent, and i think that'll support our guess. i know fishing stories tend to be exagerated, but this one is so not. and to prove that i don't exagerate fishing stories, i have one more, and it's not as exciting.
below are two pics of me holding my first fish... unfortunatly, he wasn't spike (i was so mad he got away), but that didn't take away the feeling of catching my first fish. he was about a foot long, and the fight to get him was pretty good. he jumped out of the water a few times, but otherwise, it was a good catch. it was also my first time ever holding a fish, hence the weird look on my face.
so, since the showdown with spike, i have been addicted to the routine of casting, waiting, and reeling in. i never really understood fishing before, but now that i have seen that there is a challenge, and a possible fight to be had, i have been hooked (wow, i have just been doing well with these puns these last few days :) my competetivness with slimy things that swim has brought me to add another hobby to my list.
jenny caught a fish as well... it was funny, cause i looked over at jenny and her slightly bent fishing pole, and all she said was, "uh, i think i caught something." everybody caught one fish today. it was fun.
right now, after spending 8 hours on a pontoon, i am really feeling like i am still on a boat and it is making me sick.. so i need to stop typing...




this is the pic of the spike showdown!

No comments: