Tuesday, May 22

vocabulary nemesis

it was one of those days...
you know, where you are so tired, that everytime you blink it takes about 4 seconds to refocus? or when blinks turn in to prolonged periods of your eyes just "resting".
it was also one of those days where it has come to my attention that i am not yet fit for graduation. i have a new arch-Nemesis, and it is the word "interpret".
i gave my government presentation on the Wallace v. Jaffree supreme court case, and the biggest point of the whole thing was the fact that it all came down to the interpretation of the Establishment clause. so every slide, the word "interpret" came up at least twice in my talking.
HOWEVER
i did not learn until yesterday something very important. as i was creating my power point, and writing what i thought was the correct way to spell "interpret", i came across those red squiggly lines that told me my spelling was incorrect. i looked at the word, studied it, and i swore it was right. i right clicked to see the spelling suggestions, but to my dismay, it said "no suggestions." now, i must have typed this word at least 20 times thourghout my research and about 10 in my actual presentation. so, what word was i spelling...
interpretate... interpretated, interpretating. say them outloud, it actually sounds quite ridiculous to those who know that is not the right word.
i however, did not figure that one out until yesterday, and i did not practice saying the right word. in fact, i completely forgot that i say it wrong, so in my presentation today i said either "interpretated" "interpretate" or "interpretating" at least once or twice per slide.
no one said a word during the entire presentation. i had a few confused looks, but i had no clue as to why... until after my presentation, someone politely mentioned "um, interpretate... do you mean interpret?"
i stared... did i seriously just go through my entire presentation saying that??? i completely forgot that i said it wrong!!
everyone laughed... and i couldnt help but laugh too... i am graduating in three weeks, i should know "interpret". oh well. my amiga told me it was hilarious because i said it soooo many times. i must say it is embarassing, but in a good way that makes me chuckle... chuckle indeed!

1 comment:

Piperxmeow said...

umm...i need an interpretator. could you interpretate for me? =P