Saturday, November 11

i smell like icyhot :)


what a day... what a big day filled with firsts, lasts, laughing, crying, and a whole lotta tennis (again, praise God that "a whole lotta driving" isn't on the list :). so our match was agaisnt st. bonaventure (no idea how to spell that) and they are the number one seed in our division, so coming in to this match, we had absolutley nothing to lose. the other team, or more so the coach, figured that those two things equaled them having nothing to worry about anything with this match and were already planning ahead for the next match and warming up the car to get going... now i don't want to go any further having you guys think that we won the match and taught them a lesson about counting the chicks before they hatch, because we didn't win. it was closer (and longer) than they wanted, so that was good. but at the end of the day, we really didn't lose either... kind if like something i learned in cross country "the team who is having the most fun wins." and i can tell you, that we had a lot of fun today.
okay, story time! gather round to hear the firsts, lasts, laughing and crying. i won't go in that order though because it flows better in a different order.
LAUGHING: okay, this one doesn't really have any specific stories, but laughing was a result of some of the stories to come. also, this match was really relaxed match, and everybody was haveing a good time. some of the laughing was at how crazy some of the things the other team/coach did or say, but those aren't stories that i'll touch.
FIRSTS: when i asked my final opponent "m or w" when we spun for serve, she said "w" and i spun the racket, let it fall, and saw it was "m", picked it up, and i said "it's m, so, uh, i'll recieve, what side do you want?" she looked at me and said, "uh, could you spin again?" i looked at her, and like a confused little puppy i tilted my head to the side and was like "what?" all i could think was, is she really asking to spin again because she lost the spin? but then she said, "i didn't see what it landed on, so could we spin again?" i didn't want to make abig deal out of it, so i spun again and whaddya know, "w". and of course, she says "um, i'll recieve." the nerve!!! so, first time i have ever been asked to spin again.
LASTS: okay, this one is obvious at first, but i'll get to that in a sec. i have something that actually belongs in the "firsts" category as well, but you'll see why i put it in the lasts category. there is no pride in this at all, in fact i more ashamed than anything, but today was the first time (and LAST TIME) that i hace broken a racket out of frustration. i am apologizing to everyone! never again... definitly a last time. i also apologized to my racket, because it's been so good to me, so to make up to it, i am putting in on my wall.
other lasts... today was our last tennis match, my last time playing a high school tennis match, last time saying the line up, last time playing with this team, last time playing on my high school courts (competitively), last time getting coach's advice on change overs, last time my parents will probably watch me play (since i'll be in michigan)... you know, all that sappy stuff... i 'm getting choked up just typing it... and that brings me to:
CRYING: of course that would happen... just look at the day (and the team we played). i have to admit that i also cried when i broke my racket... i swore to myself i would never ever ever do that, yet i sat there with a cracked frame. people were probably like "well if you're so sad, you shouldn't have hit your racket on the ground in the first place" haha, but ugh, ya, that stunk. my eyes started to sting after winning my final set (which was one of my most relaxed, strategized, just playing through my heart matches that i've played... i wouldn't imagine ending any other way!!!).. so ya, after my final set, it was kind of like, so, that's it for now, and the water works almost came, but i had more reasons to smile than i did to cry :) :) :)

sorry for the long and sappy post, but yall had it coming... there is no way i would leave this day out of my blog.

did i mention we all went to golden spoon afterwards? well, we did :)

good night! :)

2 comments:

Mark and His Girls said...

I must say...I was relieved that you DIDN'T cry. If I saw you start, I would have been right behind. So...thanks! :)
Coach

Anonymous said...

Stina,
I am so glad it wasn't in Ventura. I would have never been able to make it. This was the most perfect day of Tennis for me. You were amazing.Yes, amazing. That last game went well OVER 25 minutes and that was some of the best Tennis I have ever seen you play. I will never forget me running to the locker room trying to get your racket and your locker being locked and Coach Fieldhouse coming to the rescue.

It was sad for me too knowing that was my last time there to see you play. You know, daddy and I will fly out to see you in Michigan. How exciting that will be!
I love you...and am so very proud of you!

You never cease to amaze me...but then again, "you are fearfully and wonderfully made"!

MoMMy