Saturday, November 25

yay for being different!

i had a tennis tournament today... now, i haven't been finding the best tournaments lately... a total of four people signed up in my age bracket. i figured they would just cancel our bracket, but they decided to have us play anyway. you could look at our draw in one of two ways: 1) it was a full draw starting with the round of 32, and we all had bye's through to the semifinals or 2) we started with the semifinals and only had two rounds (which was how it really was, but i prefer to think of option 1 :)
so i had my first match, and while warming up, i was like, wow, this feels weird, how come this feels weird? then i realized it had been an entire week since i had played! while warming up my serve, i didn't get a single one in... all i could think was, ok, this is trouble. i served first and in the first service game, some funny stuff happened. on the third point, i served and the girl stuck her racket to block it back and snap! her string broke. that felt good. and as if there wasn't enough string breakage going on, two points later, i think at deuce or something, i broke my string on my serve.
here's a funny side story. i have been hoping for my strings to break in the middle of a match. when my new racket came, it came in a plastic bag that the pros always have when they have multiple rackets in their bag because they're sponsored and have rackets at their disposal. so i kept it in the bag so i could pull it out in a match and look all pro. so when my string broke, i trotted to my bag and pulled out my new racket with plastic on it, grinning. however, silly me forgot to take the plastic wrap that was on the grip before i got to the match... so i spent an extra minute trying to get it off, turning my pro moment into a humbling and embarassing moment :)
anyway, i ended up losing my serve and all i could think was, man, this is going to be ugly.
however, after changing sides and my racket, something must have kicked in, because i won 12 games in a row after that (two sets). so i advanced to the finals later that day.
in between matches, my dad and i went to grab lunch and went back to the courts. i saw a row of minivans parked all next to eachother, about 7 of them. they all had their trunks opened up and people were sitting in them, watching the matches (the courts are right next to the parking). i was parked beside one of the last ones, and i laughed at how everybody matched. so i, wanting to be different, opened up the back of my car (which opens sideways, not up) and sat for a minute or two, chuckling at what the sight might look like... opened up, opened up, opened up, opened to the side :)
i quickly closed the door and left though because since mine opened out and to the side, i had a greater chance of a car driving by and hitting it.
i played the final match at 1pm, and it went well. i ended up winning, so i got a neat trophy. it was kind of funny that the tournament was only two rounds, but it was good to be playing again.

well, that's all for now... i am off!

No comments: