Saturday, March 31

have you seen my mind?

i think i lost it somewhere around the starting line...
so today was my half marathon!!!
you know, i've been having some people ask me, so have you been training?
actually, ya... i've been training at the convent...
(curious) what kind of training do they do there???
nun

haha
okay, c'mon, get it??? nun... none... can i at least get one of those fake pity laughs??
haha

anyway, tis true... i haven't exactly been training, which caused me to think at the moment the gun went off this morning, "uh oh, i am about to run 13.1 miles... what in the world have i gotten myself into???"
however, it was actually a LOT if fun... crazy, but fun. about 3/4ths of the race is actually on a kind of rocky trail in chesebro canyon... and do you know what trails in canyons have??? HUGE HILLS!!!!!!!!!
first major hill came right after the 8th mile marker... in fact, you see the 8th mile marker, turn the corner and see this massive hill that you have to go up. and this hill was not only super steep, but it was long. it was like 8th mile marker at the bottom of the hill, and then once you level off at the top, you see the 9th mile marker. the moment i saw it, i said to myself, "ok stina, pick your battles...dont you dare go trying to sprint up that hill... you will die and roll off on the spot." so i walked up most the hill because walking actually was faster than running in this situation. (it was actually i think something like 840 feet of elevation gain in two miles)
there was another massive long hill at about the 10 mile marker. so ya, back to back death hills, with a nice downhill in between and after.
all in all it was good, and it totally was not that bad. plus it was beautiful weather (helped that most of the trail was shaded).
so, for the amount of massive hills that there were, and counting in the fact that there was about a mile of narrow trail where no one could pass eachother and if one walks everyone walks, i TOTALLY surprised myself with my time. i don't know if i was joking, but i went in to this thinking, okay, under 3 hours would be sweet. well, i trotted in after 2 hours 20 minutes!!! not only did i surprise myself, but my parents too, who didnt see me finish because they went out for a little breakfast (no hard feelings parent, i think its quite hilarious)
so i am walking like an old woman, my knees are killing me, but i am going to stretch like crazy and try to prepare for tomorrow... my goal is to be able to get out of bed so i can at least get to my tennis match... we'll see from there :)
picture will be coming tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: