Friday, September 21

thank you

okay.
old people... are awesome.
i pretty much always meet the coolest old people. i think it all started way back at el dorado tennis center when i played tennis with Flo (see june 2005 if you want a recount of our first meeting). along the way, there has only been one old person that i've ever had a bad experience with (and that would be the old guy i nailed in the chest with one of my overheads... also at el dorado... and he refused to ever play tennis with me again).
anyway.
i went back to the fish house this morning to do some studying, and this morning before i left, i realized i had some loose change sitting on my desk, so i grabbed it because i remembered that johnny's sells those little dove promises dark chocolates for like 15 cents. i pocketed the change and headed to the fish house. i studies for a good hour or so, and on my way out back to the dorm, i stopped in johnny's to grab one of those chocolates at the checkout.
the lady working the register was the cutest little old lady. i walked up to her (since the chocolates are at the register) grabbed one, and while holding out my dime and nickel said "just one of these please."
and she just looked at me and smiled and waved her hand in the air as if to say "pssh" i just looked at her and said "really?" she smiled and waved again and said, "yes dear, you can just have it... take it... a little boost for the morale." so i said thank you multiple times and she just gave me the nicest smile in the world.
and as i walked out, i couldn't help but smile... she totally made my day. with that i opened up the little dark chocolate and read the little message... three simple words... "live your dreams."
and with that, i enjoyed my dark chocolate. when i got back to my dorm i grabbed a piece of tape and taped the wrapper to my desk--a good reminder not to just live my dreams, but to also pay it forward.
thank you, to the little old lady who made my day.

later that day, in my history of PE class, i needed to find out when my exam was because i was in the process of figuring out when to book my flight home for christmas. i have a total of 4 exams, and exam week ends on fri december 14th. i checked all the syllabus (syllabi?) for my classes to see when my exams were. only three of them had the exam dates on them and they were two on tuesday, and one on wednesday early afternoon. so i was like, hey, if my pe exam (the one i didn't know) was anytime before that wednesday afternoon one, i could fly home on wednesday night!!! so i got to class and walked up to my professor to ask him, and he looks and tells me "the 14th." and out of a bummed shock, i said, "friday??" but without me saying anything else, he whispers to me, "hey, i can let you take it earlier if you like... i normally don't, but i understand." 'understand what?' i thought. i didn't even mention what i was trying to do. so he was just like, don't mention it to anyone in the class, but we can arrange that.'
i was in shock! so i called my dad right after the class, and it's booked!!! i am flying home from calvin on wednesday night, the 12th!!! and i don't have to fly back to calvin until jan 2nd... meaning...
i'm going to be home for three full weeks! now that is what i call a christmas break... three full weeks.
thank you to my professor!

good stuff, eh?
and with that, it is the weekend.
thank you Lord!

hmmm
that's it.

WAIT! no it's not!!!!
two things. whenever i hear something clever, i always write it down and hope to use it wihle writing in fiture posts... however seing how i don't see how i could use this in any of my posts, i am just going to say it:
the southern end of a northbound horse.
hee hee

AND

my PE prof was talking in class today about calvin's first dance and how when his dad went to calvin, dancing was still not allowed. but when my prof went to calvin was when they had their first dance. they had it out on the tennis courts, and it was called "the tennis ball!"

how incredibly stinking fantastically super-dee-dooper-ly awesome is that!?!?!?!

the tennis ball!!!!!!

i would most positively go to any dance called the tennis ball that took place on the tennis courts.

how awful would it be if my prof was just pulling our leg, and i am just to obsessed with tennis to refuse to see the sarcasm.
i think he was telling the truth.

i will leave it at that.

hooroo my amigos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stina,

iGoogle has a countdown gadget...
Today it shows:

82 days until Stina home for Christmas
(1947:06:54)
(hours, minutes, seconds)

danielle said...

i'm glad you had a good day...it's fun to hear about it! :)

"a tennis ball"!...that would be one dance i would go to!

oh, and i'm excited now! you have a date for when you are coming to visit...not too much longer! i'll be looking forward to it! :)

danielle said...

by the way, if you want the latest on tennis go see my blog...many crazy pictures! :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet stuff! My encounters with old people are always 50/50. Either they really like me and do nice things for me, or they are senile and yell at me.

And great stuff with the rule-breaking, but yet nice, prof. haha.

Jillian said...

Stina you have the best stories. Ever!
Keep it up!! I will see you in December!!!!!!!!

PS. Did ya get your tickets?