Sunday, January 6

in the words of mr. mcenroe

"are you serious? are you kidding me?!!!"
the weather here is blowing my mind. all white and snowy when i returned to good ol' michigan on wednesday night... a few beautiful (and very cold) blue-skied days... and now... today a high of 54?? and a high tomorrow of 62????????
62.
that's california weather.
crazy!
i woke up this morning to find that almost all the snow has melted... so sad! i rest assured, however, to know that just like our governator, the snow is saying "i'll be back." after all, it is only january.

interim is so much fun. first off, my class i am taking is called "theatre, faith, and identity." it is not a theatre class in which we will be acting out plays, however we will be watching a lot of them and reading a few as well... and out of all the plays, i only recognize one of them (death of a salesman), meaning i'll get some new stuff. plus, the professor is awesome... she's a total theatre person, so she is very interesting to listen too... not boring at all. and... the biggie, not a lot of work at all. all of that put together equals a fun three weeks.

last night a group of about ten of us from the floor went out to this mexican resturaunt called "la cantina" for a gal's birthday. it was some good fun. i didn't have too high of expectations for the food since pretty much all the mexican food out here hasn't even compared to the mexican food in california, but i have to say that my tamale was not that bad... i rather enjoyed it (especially since i had guacamole with it!)

so tomorrow is a big day... tennis season starts! i am so glad to get back on the courts... i only got to play three times in the three weeks i was in CA, so i am eager to get my racket swinging and my feet moving. it's also nice because no one on the team went anywhere for interim, so all 10 of us are here for the practices. should be a lot of fun.

my new experience for the week: some of you may remember my love of the chore of washing my car. well, that's not exactly something i can do right now, seeing how cold it is and everything. but on thursday afternoon, i had to move my car back from the parking lot across the beltline to the parking lot i am supposed to park in behind kh. so i took a little walk and went over to move my car and get it running a bit.. after all, it had been sitting in the cold for the past three weeks. i arrive to the parking lot to find my car covered in snow... a six-inch blanket covering the top, windshield, and hood... and spare tire in the back. it was awesome! i wish i had my camera on me... but i decided to get to work and get that snow off... and that's exactly what it was... work... tough work! i had my little scraper/brush to help, but i wasn't wearing gloves, and i was standing in the shin-high snow that surrounded my car as i did so. when i was about halfway done, i couldn't feel my hands or feet so i decided to take a break inside my car and get the car started and running... started up on the first try (such a relief). i left it running a bit and finished up taking off all the snow. i ended up spending a little over a half-hour clearing the snow off my car! i actually kind of had fun, minus the fact that my whole body was numb from the cold. when i got back in my warm car, i just sat there for a few moments... and slowly, my fingers began to warm up. i began the thawing out process that i am oh so familiar with now... the same process that happens when you walk in to the warm dorm building after walking back from class... basically, it burns. i mean, frozen fingers out in 20 degree weather finally begin to warm up in a 70 degree something car... ya, it burns. it is a crazy feeling... not really painful, but definitely a burning feeling. then moments later, my face begins to burn too, and pretty soon i am all thawed out. it was a fun time.

that's pretty much the update for now... not much else is going on.

No comments: