Monday, June 6

Turn it off

I recently did a speech in english persuading people to turn the tv off. In the process, I myself was persuaded and have decided to turn the tv off. Why? some may ask. Here are a few statistics I discovered... the average american watches about 3.5 to 4 hours of tv a day. Doesn't sound like much to some of you? Well, do the math a second... by the time you are 65, you will have wasted 9, yes, 9 years of your life glued to tube. What a waste! So many other things that can be attributed to the problems of America, here: 54% of kids (4-15)would rather watch tv than talk to their dads; in a span of 4 hours of morning cartoon, about 202 junk food commercials were counted; by the time one reaches the age of 18, they will have seen about 200,000 violent acts including 16,000 murders (real and fake). Wow, does it make you think a bit. It sure made me.

I will not watch tv from now until wimbeldon on June 20th(i will only watch wimbeldon) and then from wimbeldon to the US Open which is August 29th. It is going to be hard, so I ask that some of you may bug me about it and check every once in a while.

I challenge you to try a week without tv... you will find how refreshing it is.

:)

No comments: