Tuesday, December 12

make the cut

true story...
you know how the cool kids would always line up us lesser kids at recess for the picking of kickball teams? or maybe you were one of the cool kids, i dunno. anyway, i remember being in the line up as a little 3rd grader, only girl in the line. i'd stand up straight like one of the Von Trapp children (sound of music) and hope that the 4th graders would pick me.
they would begin their walk down the line...
"too short, too skinny, too eager, not fast, can't catch..."
okay, maybe they didn't say this out loud, but we all knew it was going on in their minds.
i was never a top pick, but gladly i was never the shameful last pick. i remember telling myself that if i were ever team captain, i would pick the lesser first.
now, you may be wondering (do you find yourself "wondering" a lot while reading my stories?) what in the world does this story have to do with anything, and... why?
i will tell you.
christmas.
christmas (the hallmark version) is all one big kickball game as far as picking teams goes.
my prime example: the christmas tree.
we went to the lot today, and i heard the people around me state the flaws of each tree: "too thin, too short, big hole here, crooked, dried out..."
i began to have sympathy for the lesser trees, and that was when i remembered the kickball days. sadly, some of these trees wouldn't be picked because they just weren't good enough for most standards. i began to look for the slightly flawed trees. i found one, a little shorter than our usual, a little crooked, and bare in the back... indeed a lesser. my little third grade vow came to mind and i told my mum that that tree was it.
and that tree is sitting in our family room right now :)

that top picture is of my triathlon ornament hanging on my cool orange ikea tree. that brings me to my next topic: triathlon.
i'm too lazy to go into detail, and to be honest, much of it was a blur (that'll tell you something). the hardest part: the swim. when i got in to the pool, i was like, okay, now what? oh ya, swim... how do you do that?
it was definitely tiring. but i finished and i got my [complimentary] medal after i got out of the pool. good stuff ...

like my ikea tree? what else should i put on it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of "A Charlie Brown Christmas". . .
The Christmas tree, that is.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you got your tree. your mom must be happy :)
i totally had a "cristina moment" tonight. i was bouncing a ball and it bounced off the corner of the stair and hit me in the mouth...so dont feel too bad about your pole incident. :)

Anonymous said...

hey! it's official, my friend scott was in the triathlon with you! he placed something around 100. i made him look up online to see if you were listed, and he found you! it was really cool =) =)